20 multiple-choice questions. Select the best answer for each question.
There is a link to the correct answers at the end of this test.
Questions 1-6 are taken from Kappler and Gaines, Community Policing, A Contemporary Perspective, 7th edition, and are to be answered in accordance with this text.
1. The authors state that the following need to supplant crime reduction and effecting arrests as the central organizing themes of police work.
A. Fear reduction, order maintenance,
and a community's overall health.
p. 7; bottom to p. 8
2. There is a wide divide in American society between those who have power and those who experience the victimization of a crime. Which of the following can close that divide?
A. Problem-oriented policing.
p. 13; para. 2
3. The police must develop strategies by which to implement the philosophy of community policing. Three parameters should guide operational planning when implementing community policing. Which of the following is not one of these three parameters?
A. Geographic focus and co-ownership.
p. 20; para. 3
4. Situational crime prevention, a form of problem solving, comprises opportunity-reducing measures that: Are directed at highly specific forms of crime; Involve the management, design, or manipulation of the immediate environment in as systematic and permanent a way as possible; and:
A. Educate the public in specific
crime prevention and safety methodologies.
p. 26; para. 3
5. Which of the following offer(s) the police their best and most logical opportunity for unifying people in ways that help rebuild that traditional sense of community?
A. The issues of crime and
fear of crime within any given community.
p. 123; last para.
6. With respect to attitudes toward the police in neighborhoods that are racially diverse, researchers found:
A. an overall negative perception
of the police.
p. 145; para. 1
Questions 7-12 are taken from Ratcliffe, Intelligence-Led Policing, and are to be answered in accordance with this text.
7. The shift from reactive policing to risk policing has been driven by a couple of factors: Radical extremism; and:
A. Broad fluctuations in crime
p. 14; para. 4
8. When people detected crime but did not report it, most often the reason was:
A. fear of reprisal.
p. 32; para. 3
9. In a study of the Crime Funnel, of 1,000 actual crimes committed, how many resulted in a custodial sentence?
p. 34; para. 3
10. One area that is increasingly valuable both in terms of crime prevention strategy and as a component of predictive policing tools is the relatively recent identification of:
p. 39; last para.
11. Community policing's central aim is an increase in police legitimacy, while intelligence-led policing strives first and foremost to:
A. reduce crime.
p. 61; para. 3
12. Information that has been subject to a defined evaluation and risk assessment process in order to assist with police decision-making refers to:
A. Risk management.
p. 69; para. 1
Questions 13-20 are taken from the HPD General Orders and are to be answered in accordance with these documents.
13. Which of the following statements about Delegation of Responsibility is correct?
A. Supervisors shall not delegate
responsibilities to subordinate employees that are specifically designated
as supervisory responsibilities in the General Orders.
GO 200-08, Conduct and Authority; p. 6, #9
14. The rank of lieutenant is mid-management, and transfers shall be made at the discretion of:
A. the Personnel Allocation
GO 300-02, Transfers; p. 5, #8, para. 1
15. The supervisor dispatched to a CED Incident shall be in charge of the scene unless:
A. follow up investigation
GO 400-26, Conducted Energy Devices; p. 4, col. 2, last para.
16. If an officer encounters a person during an investigation that they believe to be a victim of family violence, who refuses to cooperate with the investigation so long as they are being recorded by the officer's BWC, the officer shall briefly explain the department's policy with regard to recording citizen interactions. If the person continues to object to being recorded, the officer shall:
A. cease recording and take
a written statement.
GO 400-28 Body Worn Cameras; p. 6, #11, para. 3
17. All of the following statements about terminating pursuits are correct except:
A. The shift commander shall
initiate an internal affairs investigation any time it is believed that
a violation of policy occurred regarding the termination of the pursuit.
GO 600-04, Pursuits; p. 3; (3)(d); p. 4, # 4, para. 1; p. 7, (8)(e)
18. Which of the following is the Duty Lieutenant's responsibility at a Special Threat Incident?
A. Ensure patrol officers man
the outer perimeter until relieved by officers either from the Tactical
Operations Division or the Special Operations Division.
GO 600-05, Special Threats; p. 4, Captain/Lieutenant Responsibilities, (b)
19. Which of the following statements about Restricted Use Confidential Informants (CIs) is correct?
A. Restricted Use CIs may not
use department funds for the purchase of controlled substances.
GO 600-16, Confidential Informants; p. 2, (c)
20. Race, ethnicity or national origin may be legitimate factors in a detention decision when used:
A. as part of an investigation
of a specific crime.
GO 600-42, Racial Profiling; p. 2, #1, para. 1