Following are 20 multiple-choice questions. Select the best answer for each question.
Each question in this sample test is based on one of the sources in the Official Book List for the 2018 Senior Captian's examination. Answer each question based on the text or document from which it was taken. Following each question, in bold face, is the page and paragraph or section from which the question was taken.
The test preparation workshop for the Senior Captain's Examination will consist of five original practice tests averaging 100 questions. Three of the tests will be administered in class under realistic test conditions and two tests will be given via the Internet.
For more information write to email@example.com or call 303-322-6890 or 800-664-8518.
There is a link to the Answer Key following the last question.
Questions 1-3 are taken from Effective Supervisory Practice 5th edition and are to be answered in accordance with this text.
1. Ethics is a standard of conduct for professional and personal behavior based on:
A. moral standards.
p. 33; para. 1
2. A goal is a target that defines an outcome to be achieved. The most useful goals are clear, challenging, and:
p. 52; para. 2
3. The Performing Stage in team development is when:
A. the group has embraced its
value structure to govern behavior, and members accept the rules and standards
management has presented to them.
p. 109; 2nd Bullet
Questions 4-8 are taken from Mittendorf, Truck Company Operations, 2nd edition, and are to be answered in accordance with this text.
4. The first priority of truck company operations is to:
A. perform search and rescue
p. 17; col. 1, para. 3
5. The ladder effect is why a room can flashover so quickly today compared to yesterday. This term primarily refers to:
A. the greater amount of toxic
and flammable gases emitted by newer synthetic materials.
p. 154; col. 1, para. 2
6. The three-strike rule is primarily based on the co-principle of firefighter safety and risk assessment. Strike One is smoke with heat. Strike two is less than acceptable visibility. Strike three is:
A. the environment is not improving.
p. 168; col. 2, bottom to p. 169
7. One of the most important considerations in formulating a forcible entry size-up is:
A. the type of occupancy.
p. 173; col. 1, para. 3
8. Which of the following types of walls is an excellent barrier to the extension of fire, particularly in an attic?
A. Partition walls.
p. 300; col. 1, para. 3
Questions 9-13 are taken from Dunn, Collapse of Burning Buildings, A Guide to Fireground Safety, 2nd edition, and are to be answered in accordance with this text.
9. The fire problem associated with a noncombustible/limited combustible building is:
A. the flat, combustible asphalt
roof deck covering that can ignite during a fire.
p. 42; para. 3
10. The structural hierarchy effect means the destructiveness of a collapse depends on:
A. the first structure to fail
and where this structure is positioned within the building supporting
p. 78; para. 2
11. Which of the following types of sloping roof construction is the safest to walk on?
A. The rafter roof.
p. 96; para. 1
12. The most important lessons learned from 9/11 were from the collapse of World Trade Center Building 7. Building 7 collapsed because of:
A. fire destruction.
p. 293; top
13. Early floor collapse is most often caused by:
A. bad renovations.
p. 319; para. 3
Questions 14-17 are taken from the HFD Guidelines and are to be answered in accordance with these documents.
14. Documentation on member's performance used in the classified EPE process needs to support three criteria: Relevance, Fairness and:
I-35, Classified Employee Performance Evaluation; p. 7, 6.02 (E)
15. Which of the following statements about employees signing the Informed Consent and Notification Forms permitting release of test results to city officials is correct?
A. These forms shall be completed
and signed by the employee in the presence of the employee's supervisor
or a departmental supervisor.
I-06, Controlled Substances and Alcohol Abuse; p. 4 , 6.08 (C)
16. Which of the following will make up the Fire Attack Group at a high rise fire?
A. First and second engine
companies and first ladder company.
II-05, High Rise Firefighting; p. 8, 6.02 (B)
17. If the Company Officer selects the command mode, all of the following options regarding the assignment of the remaining crew members are available except:
A. "move-up" a member
within the company and place the company into action with the remaining
II-06, Incident Management System; p. 11, 6.05 (C)(1)(a)b)(c)
Questions 18-20 are taken from Bucher, Diversity Consciousness, 4th edition. and are to be answered in accordance with this text.
18. An experiment with pictures of a white man holding a knife and a black man without a knife showed:
A. how our racial biases can
radically alter what we perceive.
p. 64; para. 4
19. Social distance refers to:
A. the degree to which we are
willing to interact and develop relationships with certain racial and
p. 106; #3
20. Effective communication requires constant practice and self-examination. To improve our communication skills we need to:
A. suspend judgment when those
with different views are expressing themselves.
p. 136; para. 5