Each question of this sample test is based on one of the documents in the Official Reading List for the Sergeant's examination. Answer each question based on the text or document from which it was taken. Following each question, in bold face, is the page and paragraph or section from which the question was taken.
The test preparation workshop for the Sergeant's Examination will consist of four original practice tests averaging 100 questions. Two of the tests will be administered in class under realistic test conditions and two tests will be given via the Internet.
There is a link to the correct answers at the end of the test.
Questions 1-12 are taken from Brown, Policing in the 21st Century- Community Policing, and are to be answered in accordance with this text.
1. In the 1981 Domestic Violence Experiment, it was discovered that the most effective means of addressing domestic violence was:
A. respond, quiet
things down and leave.
p. 75, para. 2
2. Which of the following best describes the legal principle established in Terry v. Ohio?
A. Police officers
have greater authority to make a seizure and conduct a search when they
have reasonable belief that their safety or the safety of others is at
p. 95; para. 5
3. Which of the following is not one of the Six Principles of Community Policing?
A. Community Policing
is a proactive rather than reactive response to community problems.
pp. 158-163; Principles 1, 3, 6
4. The three phases of Community Policing are: The Program Phase; Developing a Dominant Style; and:
p. 168; para. 2
5. Under Community Policing, the role of supervisors will change. Supervisors must:
A. allow the officers
under their command to be risk takers and facilitators.
p. 226; para. 3
6. The most important criterion in evaluating the effectiveness of Community Policing may be:
A. crime reduction.
p. 254; last para.
7. Leadership in a police organization is the process of influencing human behavior to achieve organizational goals that serve the public, while:
A. exercising managerial
direction and control.
p. 281; Box
8. The most important characteristic of a police leader is:
p. 300; para. 3
9. Increasingly jurisdictions are adopting the hybrid system for handling complaints against the police. Under this system:
A. the police and
the community partner in determining the disposition of complaints and
appropriate penalties for violations.
p. 338; para. 6
10. Offender drug use is involved in more than ______ percent of all violent crime.
p. 390; para. 3
11. In his discussion on the use of deadly force, Brown states that it is imperative that the police are responsive and responsible to civilian control. The policy regarding when the police are allowed to use deadly force is a matter of high public concern. For that reason:
A. all uses of deadly
force must be reviewed and adjudicated, with respect to policy, by a civilian
p. 357; paras. 3, 4
12. The police can move beyond their current state of affairs with respect to racial profiling by adhering to the principles of policing in a democratic society: Equal enforcement of the law; Value for human life; and:
p. 439; para. 1
Questions 13-20 are taken from the official documents in the DPD Study Packet and are to be answered in accordance with these documents.
13. In conjunction with the Decision Making Model, personnel will continually make specific assessments with respect to actions being Legal, Necessary, Reasonable, Appropriate, and Proportional. Proportional refers to:
A. Is the action a
reasonable use of discretion?
101.01, Decision Making Model; p. 44, Proportional
14. The practice of de-escalation is intended to help department personnel be more effective and safe; to increase the quality of service and community satisfaction; and:
A. reduce liability.
101.02l De-Escalation; p. 46, #1, para. 1
15. If the officer is involved in (or is witness to) a critical incident, such as a police shooting, an in-custody injury resulting in death, or other critical incident as defined in the Operations Manual, the officer is authorized to view their BWC recording only after:
A. the incident has
119.04, Body Worn Camera Technology; p. 79, (4)(e)(2)
16. When taking police actions, under what circumstances may officers take into account a specific suspect's reported characteristics, traits, attributes, or statuses, such as race, ethnicity, national origin gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation?
A. Under no circumstances.
118.02, Biased Policing; p. 73, (3)(b)
17. All of the following are responsibilities of the Managing Supervisor of a pursuit except:
A. direct the investigation
of any pursuit-related accident.
204.01, Pursuits; p. 95, (3)(g)(9)(10)(11)
18. The Traffic Investigations Unit shall be notified to respond to DPD involved accidents when:
A. there are any complaints
Training Bulletin, Non-Injury Police Car Accidents; p. 203, 4th Bullet
19. When handling a minor misconduct complaint, if the investigation cannot be completed during the current tour of duty, the supervisor will contact IAD for a case number, and:
A. forward all documentation
to IAD upon completion of the investigation.
503.01, Complaint and Discipline Procedures; p. 154, (6)(a)(4)
20. Appropriate Intervention Strategies in the Personnel Assessment System include all of the following except:
A. referral to an
appropriate employee support system.
503.04, Personnel Assessment System; pp. 175-176, (5)(a)(c)(g)
free to call or write with any questions
© 2017 All rights reserved. Allwrite-Testing, Denver, CO