Following are 20 multiple-choice questions.
Select the best answer for each question. There is one and only one correct answer for each question.
All questions in this sample test are based on the source material in the official bibliography for the Sergeant's examination. Answer each question based on the Document from which it was taken. Following each question, in bold face, is the source from which the question was taken.
The test preparation workshop for the Sergeant's Examination will consist of four original practice tests. The practice tests will average 100 questions. Three of the tests will be administered in class under realistic test conditions, and one will be a take-home test that will be e-mailed to you.
There is a link to the correct answers at the end of this test.
A. to the extent that
there is reasonable suspicion to justify a detention.
PSB, Biased Policing, Nov. 9, 2015; p. 1, para. 1
2. Which of the following statements about reviewing Body Worn Video (BWV) recordings in Categorical Use of Force Incidents is correct?
A. If an officer is
involved in a CUOF, an officer shall not review his or her BWV recording
until authorized by his or her immediate supervisor.
SO 12, 2015; p. 5, XIX; p. 6, XIL (Note)
3. Strategic Goal 2 in the LAPD Strategic Plan 2020 is to Build Community Trust and Collaboration. All of the following are Initiatives planned to accomplish this goal except:
A. Expand Public Trust
and Confidence Measures.
LAPD Strategic Plan; pp. 19-22, (Initiatives A, B, C)
4. According Chief Beck's article, the underlying principle of Relationship-Based Policing is that:
A. the police, as
an organization and as individuals, want to assist the public in creating
safe, healthy communities.
Police Chief Magazine; p. 3, last para.
5. Supervisors are assigned to assist with a Search Warrant and Protective Services Warrant. If forced entry has been authorized by the court, the supervisor is responsible for:
A. notifying Metropolitan
Division and request a SWAT response.
Operations Order 1, 2014; p. 2, II, 5th Bullet
6. An adverse employment action taken against an employee for engaging in protected activity is:
STP, 4th Qtr., 2015; p. 3, (I)(F)(1)
7. In a study conducted from 2009 through 2014, LAPD had only one Categorical Use of Force incident per ______ law enforcement contacts.
Risk Management/Harm Reduction; p. 8, para. 2
8. Which of the following TASER deployment methods can be employed from as close as two inches?
A. Probe Mode.
UOF Directive 4.4, 2015; p. 4, para. 2
9. In Undercover Operations, an officer or supervisor primarily assigned to obtain intelligence; identify suspects, residences, criminal activity, places of employment; identify co-conspirators and associates; corroborate informant information; identify assets; establish daily patterns; and/or build probable cause for an arrest or search warrant is the ______ officer.
UOF Directive 10.2, 2015; p. 4, bottom to p. 5
10. The first priority in the Objectives of Crowd Management is:
A. minimize enforcement
EOG 5; p. 17, Bullets
11. The investigation of reports must be used to build the fact pattern, and:
A. document the Investigating
Officer's specific training and experience in support of any actions taken
AO 3, 2014, General Reporting; p. 2 (C)
12. Based on the recent case of Hayes vs. the County of San Diego, the Department revised the policy on the reasonableness of the use of deadly force to include consideration not only of the use of force itself, but also:
A. the number of suspects.
SO 4, 2014; p. 1, (Purpose)
13. The Penal Code identifies two different circumstances when an assembly may be declared unlawful. First is when persons assemble to do an unlawful act. Second is when:
A. innocent, uninvolved
bystanders feel threatened.
EOG 5; p. 23, para. 3, 4
14. A supervisor receiving an Investigative Report of a robbery or rape for approval shall do all of the following except:
A. underline in red
those details in the body of the report which shall be teletyped.
LAPD Manual; 3/204.50
15. Booking advice for adult felony traffic arrests shall be obtained from:
A. an area watch commander.
LAPD Manual; 4/216.01; Adult Felony Traffic Arrests
16. A Department employee who becomes aware of a crime or incident motivated by hatred shall: investigate the crime or incident in a timely manner; notify the WC, Area of occurrence; complete the appropriate crime or arrest report(s) and check the MOTIVATED BY HATRED/PREJUDICE box; and:
A. notify the community
policing station Hate Crime Coordinator.
LAPD Manual; 4/203.25, Employee's Responsibilities
17. In a Non-Categorical Use of Force, an involved supervisor is defined as a supervisor who:
A. provided guidance
or direction during the use of force.
LAPD Manual; 4/245.10 (Second Note)
18. When a person is arrested without a warrant for the commission of more than one offense, he or she shall be booked on the charge carrying the greatest penalty, or:
A. on the charge for
which the evidence is most conclusive.
LAPD Manual; 4/604.50
19. The section of the Incident Command System responsible for all tactical operation is:
Media Relations Handbook; p. 25, para. 7
20. Special circumstances may require the transfer of a probationer, as long as the circumstance is not related to:
A. the probationer's
Field Training Manual; p. 11, para. 3