Following are 20 multiple-choice questions. Select the best answer for each question. There is one and only one correct answer for each question.
All questions in this sample test are based on the source material in the official bibliography for the Lieutenant's examination. Answer each question based on the Document from which it was taken. Following each question, in bold face, is the source from which the question was taken.
The test preparation workshop for the Lieutenant's Examination will consist of four original practice tests. The practice tests will average 100 questions. Two of the tests will be administered in class under realistic test conditions, and two will be take-home tests that will be e-mailed to you.
There is a link to the correct answers at the end of this test.
A. direction of the watch commander,
Area of occurrence.
Special Order 9, 2012; Dept. Manual, Vol. 4, p. 5, (Note)
2. Which of the following statements about reviewing Body Worn Video (BWV) recordings in Categorical Use of Force Incidents is correct?
A. If an officer is involved
in a CUOF, an officer shall not review his or her BWV recording until
authorized by his or her immediate supervisor.
Special Order 12, 2015; p. 5, XIX; p. 6, XIL (Note)
3. Department personnel may not use race, religion, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, or disability (to any extent or degree) while engaging in any law enforcement activity, including stops or detentions, except when engaging in the investigation:
A. of appropriate suspect-specific
activity to identify a particular person or group.
Special Order 19, 2016; para. 1
4. Penal Code Section 407 identifies two different circumstances when an assembly may be declared unlawful. First is when persons assemble to do an unlawful act. The second factual setting is when persons assemble:
A. following a lawful order
B Use of Force Directive 11, 2011; p. 2, paras. 2, 3
5. Which of the following Tactical De-Escalation Techniques can afford officers the added benefit of time and distance while continuing to maintain control over the situation?
A. Redeployment and/or Containment.
Use of Force Directive 16, 2016; p. 2, para. 4
6. Goal 5 of the Department's Strategic Plan is to Strengthen the Workforce. Initiative B is to Empower the Workforce. A Key Activity to Empower the Workforce is to:
A. Implement Department-wide
Use of Force/De-Escalation Training.
Strategic Plan; Goal 5, Initiative B
7. The Watch Commander's responsibility with respect to crimes or incidents motivated by hatred or prejudice include all of the following except:
A. forward a copy of the Watch
Commander's Daily Report entry, along with a copy of the Sergeant's Log,
documenting the contact with the victim to the Community Station Hate
LAPD Manual; 4/203.25, (Watch Commander's Responsibilities)
8. Under what conditions may certain factors such as "nighttime," "high crime," or "high narcotics area" justify reasonable suspicion?
A. When an officer's experience
and training are factors in make these specific determinations.
Legal Source Book, Search and Seizure/Persons; III, B, 1, a
9. You may seize any object that is in plain view, as long as: you have a lawful right to be in the place from which you are viewing the object; you have a lawful right of access to the location of the object; and:
A. you have reasonable suspicion
to believe that a person legally detained is in possession of the object.
Legal Source Book, Search and Seizure/Premises; III, para. 1
10. Investigative Detentions involving vehicles are based on:
A. reasonable suspicion of
criminal activity that may or may not be connected to a traffic offense.
Legal Source Book, Search and Seizure/Vehicles; IV, B, 2
11. The FLSA Rule ensures that all sworn employees:
A. have all overtime pre-approved.
MOU; Art. 6.1.2, para. 1
12. As a general rule, officers do not have a duty to warn citizens of potentially dangerous persons. However, such a duty may arise if:
A. the officer has reason to
believe a danger exists.
Legal Bulletin; Vol. 17, Issue 17, 1993; p. 1, paras 3, 4
13. Upon learning of an Unusual Occurrence (Storm/Flood), or an emergency having the potential of becoming an Unusual Occurrence, the watch commander of the involved area shall designate a supervisor or senior officer as acting watch commander and shall immediately:
A. issue a Tactical Alert.
CTSOB Notice 16.2, 2016; p. 5, para. 5
14. Which of the following statements about Less-Lethal Force options is correct?
A. The courts have recently
held that Less-Lethal Force is justifiable only when an officer reasonably
believes the suspect or subject is violently resisting arrest.
OAS Notice 1.3, 2018; para. 4
15. If an NCIC inquiry returns an Immigration Violator's Record that indicates a person is a "Deported Criminal/Aggravated Felon," an officer may detain the individual for a reasonable period to investigate whether the individual may be in violation of Title 8, US Code Section 1326 (a), (b)(2) (Illegal Re-Entry after Conviction of an Aggravated Offense), a felony criminal offense. A watch commander's responsibility is to contact RACR to be connected to the Department's Immigration Liaison Officer to request approval to: further detain the individual, and to:
A. book the individual for
violation of Title 8.
Detective Notice 1.8, 2017; p. 4, (2nd Bullet, Second Set of Bullets)
16. The selection of the news media viewing area at a public assembly will take into consideration public and officer safety; police tactics; input provided by the new media, if any; and:
A. the ability of the LAPD
to prevent the location from being part of the impacted area.
Al Crespo v. Los Angeles; p. 1, last para.
17. The term "substantially involved" refers to the employee(s) applying force or who:
A. witnessed the use of force.
LAPD Manual; 3/792.05
18. After all public safety concerns have been addressed at a CUOF incident, when a firearm has been discharged, ______ shall ensure that involved officers and witness officers are transported from the scene.
A. the investigating supervisor
LAPD Manual; 3/794.37
19. The watch commander will respond to all scenes involving the seizure of narcotics-related currency which appears to be in excess of:
LAPD Manual; 4/201.65 last para. (WC Responsibility)
20. All persons detained or arrested and transported to a Department facility shall be brought before a Watch Commander for an inspection and interview. At a minimum, the Watch Commander shall ask the suspect all of the following questions except:
A. Do you understand why you
LAPD Manual; 4/216, Bullets