Each question in this sample test is based on one of the documents in the Official Reading List for the Corporal/Detective's examination. Answer each question based on the text or document from which it was taken. Following each question, in bold face, is the page and paragraph or section from which the question was taken.
The test preparation workshop for the Corporal/Detective's Examination will consist of five original practice tests averaging 100 questions. Three of the tests will be administered in class under realistic test conditions and two tests will be given via the Internet.
There is a link to the Answer Key at the end of the test.
1. Any complaint by a subject that an officer caused pain or injury shall be treated as a response to resistance force incident, except:
A. complaints of minor discomfort
from unresisted handcuffing.
APD Policies; p. 51, 200.2 (d)
2. Which of the following statements about the Firearm Discharge Policy is not correct?
A. For any intentional firearm
discharge against a person, regardless of whether the person is hit, the
incident shall be handled as a Level I Force Incident.
APD Policies; pp. 56-57, 202.1.1, last para., 202.1.3 (c)(d), 202.2
3. ______ are responsible for verifying the classification of Body Worn Camera recordings for assigned incidents within 30 days of the recording.
APD Policies; p. 131, 303 (e)
4. For a vehicle search incident to arrest, officers may examine the contents of any opened or closed container within the passenger compartment, provided:
A. the container is within
reaching distance of the arrestee and the arrestee is unsecured at the
time of the search.
APD Policies; p. 149, 306.6 (b)(4)
5. Under what circumstances is it permissible for an officer to ask an individual to identify their race or ethnicity?
A. Under no circumstances shall
officers ask an individual to identify their race or ethnicity.
APD Policies; p. 215, 329.8, Note
6. The purpose or objective of a statement or confession is to:
A. develop a prosecutable case.
APD Policies; p. 238, 403.4, para. 1
7. When a search warrant is for computer equipment that is to be examined in the computer forensics lab, the case agent should contact the DART Unit or the ______ Unit to obtain information on the proper wording of the computer search warrant before taking the search warrant to a magistrate for issuance.
A. Digital Forensics
APD Policies; p. 311, 405.3.1 (d)
8. Which of the following statements about Hate Crime Enhancements is correct?
A. Investigators can only enhance
misdemeanor crimes when sufficient evidence exists that the crime was
motivated by bias or prejudice. Felonies can be enhanced only by prosecutors.
APD Policies; p. 401, 438.4 (a)
9. In what way do "authentic" leaders approach the Success Gap, the perceived distance between successful people and those who are less successful?
A. They encourage people to
define success for themselves.
Great Questions; p. 34, paras. 5, 6
10. The highest level of listening is:
A. Active listening.
Great Questions; p. 50, para. 5
11. The question that John Maxwell asks more than any other is:
A. How can we make things better?
Great Questions; p. 56, para. 2
12. Leadership is:
A. power - control over people
Great Questions; p. 115, para. 3
13. One basic principle to which there must be full adherence is that:
A. the interrogation of suspects
should follow, not precede, an investigation conducted to the full extent
permissible by the allowable time and circumstances of the particular
Reid; p. 19, last. para.
14. The assumption of guilt approach in the interview possesses the desirable element of surprise. As a result:
A. the suspect does not have
an alibi prepared.
Reid; p. 39, para. 2
15. Characteristics of speech falling outside of the spoken word is what type of communication channel?
Reid; p. 80, para. 2
16. Step one of Reid's Nine Steps of Interrogation involves:
A. a presentation of the incriminating
facts and evidence that establish that a crime has been committed.
Reid; p. 121, para. 3
17. If a person threatens to commit any offense involving violence to any person or property with intent to cause impairment or interruption of public communications, public transportation, public water, gas, or power supply or other public service, the person commits the offense of:
A. Disruption of Public Service.
Penal Code; p. 57, Sec. 22.07 (a)(4)
18. In each case enumerated, where arrests may be lawfully made without warrant, the officer or person making the arrest is justified in adopting all the measures which he might adopt in cases of arrest under warrant, except that an officer making an arrest without a warrant may not:
A. enter a residence to make
an arrest unless a person who resides in the residence consents to the
entry or exigent circumstances require entry without consent or warrant.
19. Drug tests may be taken upon the agreement of any two supervisors that there is a reasonable basis for a suspicion that: An Officer is presently under the influence of illegal drugs or inhalants; An Officer has possession of illegal drugs or inhalants; or:
A. An Officer has completed
a drug or alcohol rehabilitation program within the previous two years.
Meet & Confer; p. 35, Article 15, Section 4 (a)(b)(c)
20. Which of the following is not listed as a purpose of Citizen Oversight?
A. To assure timely, fair,
impartial, and objective administrative review of complaints against police
officers, while protecting the individual rights of officers and citizens.
Meet & Confer; p. 36, Article 16, Section 1 (b)(1)(2)(3)